As you know, regular attendance at school is very important.
Our targets for the next 3 years are…
2013/2014 94% 2014/2015 94.5% 2015/2016 95.0%
Some interesting facts …
- In 2010/11 the average attendance for Primary Schools in Cardiff was 92.9% Even this percentage is a loss of 13.5 days per pupil per year!
- Patterns of attendance must start early or they affect education later on: Research shows that just 17 days missed from school can mean a drop of a GCSE grade across ALL subjects when children get to high school.
- 90% attendance may sound good, but over a school year it actually adds up to half a day missed each week, or a nearly four weeks in total!
Mrs Constantinou and Mrs Price will be meeting with the School Attendance Officer on a regular basis to monitor all attendance. We will be focussing particularly on those children with attendance below 96%. You may receive a phone call or letter if your child’s attendance is low.
What we are going to do to help encourage better attendance…
- Continue to reward children with 100% and 95% + attendance at the end of term.
- Weekly class reward for best attending class.
- Your child’s class teacher will discuss attendance with you at parents evening.
- School Governors will work closely with us to monitor attendance.
- Send letters to parents every fortnight to let them know if thier child's attendnce has fallen.
- Ring you if we have a concern about your child's attendance.
- Send out letters to every child each half term with attendance percentage for that half term.
What you can do…
- Only keep your child away from school if absolutely necessary.
- Inform the school in writing ( a short note) giving the reasons for any absences.
- Let us know if you need any support in getting your child to school.
- Take holidays in school-holiday time, not in term time.
- Make dental and doctor appointments at the end of the school day where possible.
We look forward to working with you towards better attendance for our children.
UPDATE: Half Term Attendance Award! Year 6C and 2T won the attendance trophy for last half term with figures of 97.37% and 96.80% respectively. Well done