Below are a range of activities to practise developing gross and fine motor skills.
These activities will be particularly helpful if your child is in Mrs Stimpson's handwriting group. If your child is unsure what group they are in please email me and I can let you know.
Gross Motor / Postural Skills
- Hopping games (on paper islands, stepping stones, etc.)
- Jumping on markings (outside on the ground)
- Balancing along a piece of rope on the floor
- Kicking and stopping a football
- Throwing and catching beanbags, balls, etc.
- Throwing ball / beanbag into target bucket
- Throwing balloons ( do not let it touch the floor)
- Balancing on a bench (forwards, backwards, sideways)
Fine Motor Skills
- Threading (string, wool, pipe cleaners, beads, pasta, spaghetti)
- Lego / construction toys
- Sorting counters / sequins into egg trays
- Cutting along lines / shapes with children's scissors
- Letter formation
- Using big chalks outside on the ground to write letters/numbers/patterns
- Water and paintbrushes outside - painting letters/numbers/patterns on the ground
- Water and glitter in squirty bottles and squirt on the floor outside - letters/numbers/patterns
- Sand trays / glitter trays - writing letters/numbers/patterns
- Shaving foam in a tray - writing letters/numbers/patterns
- Rainbow writing (using coloured felt tip pens)
- Secret writing (write in white crayon and paint over it with watery coloured paint)